Throughout the course of art history the concept of women being displayed in natural settings has been a common theme.  Women and nature have become unified as one.  Portraying women and nature in the way that many artists of the past have creates the idea that women are simply erotic subjects for the viewer to gaze at and brings into question the domination of both women and nature. By selecting works of art which portray women in natural settings and then reinventing them through photography I hope to portray women as a separate identity from nature, as independent, and as powerful.  

Presentation of Book

I am going to have my book made rather than make it myself because I want my book to look similar in structure to an art history book.  I would like to display both the original image and then my image side by side if possible.  I am going to try to make my book have somewhere from 10-15 pages.

30.6.09

So here are some pictures that I took this past week. I am not sure that they really capture what I want them to but I am thinking of how I can change the background to change the content of the photo. I think the photos turned out really beautifully and I will deffinately be taking many more photos in the next week or two. The empty picture frame is where I will be putting the original artwork thanks to some of you wonderful ideas! Let me know what you all think.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Wow. These have a lot of potential!!!!

    (Photoshop out that tag in the back of that red dress please!)

    SOOOO exciting. Do you plan to drop in some kind of "natural setting" for the background? Interesting.
    You may not need it. Take more, we may be better off changing the artist statement to suit the images than the images to suit the statement. Images are compelling!
    x,
    v

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really good. this is more better than what i expect. i thing second picture of color is better than third one color. this is exciting. i guess you can change model too. it will be more awsome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the images are very strong too. The lights and darks, and the colors are so beautiful. I like the idea you're thinking of using with the frames. There is so much you can do with this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great! The only one that bothers me is the third photograph because she looks washed out. I like the natural glowing light of the others. They almost look like real paintings! You have everything so organized and I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really strong. I agree the the coloring of the last image (bluish tone) is a little off and the image above it seems a better fit -- it has more of an orange tone which, to me, has an old and antique feel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great eye and really solid framing for these photos. it is shaping up quickly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! These are going to need a lot of photoshopping.. If you need help, give me a ring.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are going in the right direction but I think whether it is outside or wherever you do it you have to make it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The warm tones on the second one are most like the work you are sourcing from. It is my favorite. I want to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these turned out sooooo lovely!!! i cant wait to see more. i think if u photoshoped the background you should use a sublte color or scene so it doesnt look to collaged. Keep it up , im excited to see more

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to see painting you're mirroring here. Excited for some more development, there's great potential. Try a background with earthy tones, I think that might work better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the color in the first two photos are working well. they are reminiscent of tones found in old paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great overall idea and your artist book is coming along quite well. Do you have any covers that you might be thinking of doing?

    --Nick Miller

    ReplyDelete
  14. The second photo is right on! The image immediately takes me to another century. The idea of placing another artist depiction in the frame is awesome.

    I am looking forward to seeing more!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE the first one with your back facing the viewer!!! It looks like Ingres' painting called Grand Odalisque! SO PRETTY!!! I think you should definitely use that one! I cant wait to see more pics! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have some beautiful photos! I love the second one you took, it sort of looks like a painting. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete