Throughout the course of art history the concept of women being displayed in natural settings has been a common theme.  Women and nature have become unified as one.  Portraying women and nature in the way that many artists of the past have creates the idea that women are simply erotic subjects for the viewer to gaze at and brings into question the domination of both women and nature. By selecting works of art which portray women in natural settings and then reinventing them through photography I hope to portray women as a separate identity from nature, as independent, and as powerful.  

Presentation of Book

I am going to have my book made rather than make it myself because I want my book to look similar in structure to an art history book.  I would like to display both the original image and then my image side by side if possible.  I am going to try to make my book have somewhere from 10-15 pages.

23.6.09

I would like to make my book a standard 8x10 size through blurb.

On the front of my book I would like to have an image of me that looks like I am trapped in a frame.

Photobucket

On the back of my book I would like to have a picture of me holding the picture of me trapped in the frame.

Photobucket

I would like to put my artist statement on the back flap of the book so that whoever is looking at the book can look at it first with a fresh mind and their own opinions before seeing what my intent was for the pictures. I don't want to have any text to go along with the pictures. I think I would like to have the pictures full spread over the pages.

17 comments:

  1. I like your sketches. ;) I'm glad you are putting your artist statement in the book and at the end so people can view the pictures first. The idea of having the pictures full bleed is good. I can't wait to see some of your photos. Sounds like you have this all planned out!

    -Sarah Whitfield

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are some great sketches, this idea has great potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your idea. It'll be wonderful to see everything fleshed out because it shows that you've put a lot of thought into your idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like an interesting idea. I can't wait to see what you come up as your final design for your front cover.

    --Nick Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. id say just go for it, it sounds like you know what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! Love the front and back cover! I really wouldn't change anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the layout for the front & back cover! I also like the idea for putting your statement in the back. I would just make sure that the photos of you on the front & back flow with the other pictures in the book. Not that you have to be posing or nude like them, I just mean that they should be somewhat cohesive with the book...I'm so sorry if I'm not making sense! LOL! I know you'll do fine! This idea is awesome! Can't wait to see pics! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure what to think about the idea of the cover yet because I haven't seen any of the images yet, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the ideas for the covers and how you want the artist statement in the back. I dig.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seems like you have a good plan and have been thinking about it. Sometimes it takes me a while to carefully plan.
    Is the cover and back referencing a specific work or will you tie in the point inside? I'm going to reread the statement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am really like your idea. it is cool. is it just the sketching? i expect to see your photo. keep it work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute idea for the back and front covers. I agree that full bleed will work best for your pictures. I'm very excited to see some of your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. will there be any text on the covers. what are your pictures going to be like. i dont feel there is much to comment on at this point.
    there is not going to be any text in my book unless it is an object on a table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OK,
    so if you are going to put the statement in the book, and I hope you do I am with you for wanting to put them at the end. I vote not on the back cover, but maybe on the final page.

    LOVE the idea for front and back cover.. But the image will have to rock. So shoot many!!!

    You are going to have to start with your shoots, and you are gonna hafta shoot alot! Get on it!

    Best of luck with your killler idea.

    xo,
    val

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is difficult for me to visualize since I haven't seen any photos, but I love the back cover idea.

    Go for it!

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  17. i still love the fact that u are modeling ur book after an art history book. i think ur idea of photos of u in frame like context will only support the art history idea. cant wait to see it come together!

    ReplyDelete